Quick Quiz: How many portions are in a
bag of snack-size whole grain crackers? Or a
small bottle of locally- pressed juice? Or a
lunchbox pack of granola bars?
Hint: it’s not “one.” Often, the above
products contain two or two-and-a-half
servings per package.
Can YOU Eat Just One?
Sure, you could go ahead and enjoy just half the bag, but are you really going to do
that? Don’t beat yourself up if the answer is no: If you place food in front of most
people, they tend to eat it all. It’s just the way we’re wired.
The Perils of Supersizing
Eating too much food in one sitting is hard on your body. Here’s why:
- Food is intended to be spread throughout the day. Overdosing on too much food at one time causes pain, upset, and sluggish digestion. A surge of glucose is released into your blood. Your pancreas has to work overtime, pumping insulin through the body to absorb all that extra glucose. This can make you feel spacey, weak, irritable, or headachy.
- Thinking there is some type of emergency, your adrenal glands go into “fight or flight” mode and release adrenaline and cortisol, which is the body’s natural response to stress.
- When your blood sugar levels finally plummet, you experience wicked cravings for more food—specifically simple carbs or sweets.
- Research has found that immune system function is affected for at least five hours after consuming large amounts of simple carbohydrates.
5 Tips to Kick Portion Distortion:
- Don’t over order – go for salads, soups, and appetizers, which are typically more reasonably sized than entrees.
- Choose high-fiber foods like vegetables, fruits, beans, and whole grains to keep you feeling full and energized.
- Chew well to aid digestion and give your brain time to register you’re full before you overeat.
- Get enough water. Often we mistake thirst for hunger.
- Carry your own snacks. Stock up on snack-sized containers and fill them with baby carrots, air-popped, popcorn, salmon jerky, or nuts.
Let me know what snacks you will start making handy in the comments
GET EVEN HEALTHIER!
Are you curious about how easy-to-make changes (such as chewing your food more
thoroughly) can make a big difference in your health? Would you like help in making
healthier food choices? Let’s talk! Schedule a complimentary health coaching
consultation with me today!
Get ready to be fit and take back your power from the damaging diet industry!
Click here for a free copy of 14 Loving Ways To Nourish Your Soul and learn more
about my unique approach to health coaching at lynnecampanaro.com.
Are you interested in becoming an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and starting a
career you’ve always dreamed of? Click here to learn more!